Friday, January 9, 2009

On Writing

Writing, as well as reading has always been a huge part of my life. My parents insisted that I read early and often, so I grew to have a love for reading very early in life. For the longest time when someone would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I told them I wanted to be a writer. It seemed like all fun and no work. As I got older and actually tried to write things down, I realized that there is more work entailed in being a writer than I had originally thought. Ideas come to me all the time for stories, but they seem to always lose all appeal before they are set into paper. I learned quickly that while I am a pretty good writer, I am better at editing other people's work and giving good feedback. I can take a preexisting idea and make it twenty times better, but I can barely come up with an original idea of my own.
My fellow students at school complain that I mark up their papers worse than the teachers do during peer reviews. However, once they make those corrections and turn in their paper, they don't complain again. If they don't like it, they can always have some one else review their paper in class. They never do.
The ideal career suited for a person of these skills is, I think, a teacher. I love the English language, and other languages as well, so I decided the best career choice for me would be to get a double major in English teaching and Spanish teaching. Eventually I hope to get a Master's degree in Library Science and learn how to bind books. I would like to run a library and own a small book binding and printing shoppe.
Everything that I want to do with my life has to do with the written or spoken word. I love books, I love reading, and I would love writing if I could just get past the point of coming up with a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment